Email Marketing Checklist: Steps To Take For Successful Email Marketing Campaigns
Email marketing is a great marketing technique for small businesses. Whether used for keeping in touch with existing clients or generating new leads, email marketing can be a cost effective tool in your marketing toolbox.
However, like many new technologies, it can be a case of "easy to do – easy to do badly."
Email marketing checklist:
Building Your Email Lists
- Do you request an email address on every form that your customers and prospects complete?
- Do you request an email address when visitors register on your website?
- When asking for an email address, do you also ask permission to email them?
- Do you have a system and procedure for collecting and storing your email addresses?
- If you are considering renting an email marketing list from a list broker, have your reviewed the quality of the list?
Developing Your Email Marketing Content
- Have you defined the goals of your campaign: examples include generating enquiries, click through to website, downloading a white paper.
- Does your planned message pass the WIIFM test – "What's In It For Me?"
- Could recipients of your planned message think you are just sending advertising or junk?
- Have you considered the benefits and drawbacks of sending either a plain text message, or one in HTML?
- Have you reviewed the appearance of your email message in the Outlook Preview Pane?
- Does your Subject line grab the reader's attention without looking like spam?
- Does your From line include your company name or brand, and a genuine email address?
- Do you have a clear Call to Action?
- Have you proofread your message before sending it out, checking spelling and grammar? Do you test your message, sending to a friendly audience before you broadcast generally?
- Have you provided a way for readers to unsubscribe?
- Do you have a process to clean up your email address list, including bounces and unsubscribes?
- Have you personalized the message?
- Have you identified yourself fully in your message, including complete contact details?
- Have you created a landing page for this email campaign, if required
Measuring Your Success
- Do you measure how many people unsubscribe to your mailing?
- Do you keep track of how many people open your email message?
- Do you keep track of how many people click on the links in your email message?
- Do you provide a link to forward this email to a friend or colleague?
And of course, once you have broadcast your campaign, learn from your experience and test new techniques in your next broadcast.